2511 Rose St. Honolulu, HI. 96819
PH: (808) 845-4115 E: NaLei@kcaapreschools.org
AT A GLANCE
- Enrollment: 114
- Center Director: Kelly Kurakake
- Open year-round 7am – 5pm
- Ages 2 (in diapers) – 5 years old
- Na Lei offers flexible child care for 3/4 days 7:00am to 3:00pm
- Extended hours available: 5:00pm to 5:30pm
- Nationally accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
Na Lei is proud of its Lending Library, which is open to parents and children as part of the school’s literacy program. Na Lei has a big, beautiful playground where children can use their large motor skills and also hold their classroom activities outdoors on our many sunny days. Enrichment programs: Computer and Swimming are offered to children at the center for an additional fee. All staff meet State licensing requirements.
Na Lei Preschool in Kalihi has been part of KCAA’s history for over a hundred years. The school started in 1896 and was first called “Palama” after the settlement in which it resided. The school relocated numerous times over the next 84 years, always with the support of its parents. In 1927, the parents asked KCAA to change the name of the school to Na Lei, stating that they considered their children to be beautiful wreaths. The association readily agreed, and it has been known by that name ever since. In May 1980, Na Lei Preschool moved into its brand new building on Rose Street in Kalihi.